Millerdale - Bradford
We are looking to recruit a Lead Engineer (Mechanical/Electrical Bias)
Millerdale Bakery is an aging factory with much old machinery and when breakdowns occur, traditional ‘time served’ mechanical engineering skills and techniques often need to come to the fore as part of the repair process. Much of the equipment is bespoke or obsolete and so parts are not always readily available. Getting ‘out of trouble’ and ensuring Production is up and running quickly, often means fabricating a new part from materials on hand and thinking laterally to find the best solution to the problem without any compromise to the stringent Health and Safety regimes in place. It is a job where thinking on your feet to find a solution where one might not be immediately obvious or straightforward is a key skill. Finally, experience across all disciplines (Pneumatics, Electrical, Electronic, Mechanical, Fabrication) is highly desirable as they all are equally part of the experience mix needed at this site.
- To provide general maintenance for all production related equipment following closely the Company rules on Health and Safety, Quality and Engineering Procedures.
- To ensure all PPM’s are completed, along with all supporting PPM documentation, on time as part of Engineering Department Targets
- Ensuring breakdowns are rectified efficiently while investigating root cause to prevent reoccurrence
- To respond to ad hoc requests and/or take an active role in specific projects as directed by the site team
- To take an active role in continuously developing your skills and knowledge through self-development activities and/or through attending Company organised training and development opportunities
- To manage contractors associated with the maintenance and repairs of all equipment when required to do so whilst ensuring compliance to all aspects of the company health and safety policy and factory rules.
- To provide front line engineering support to the manufacturing operations
- To continually monitor plant conditions, capturing potential issues and report defects.
- To maintain a detailed log of all work carried out on plant using the appropriate Company systems where this is required
- To ensure that the Company is professionally represented at all times, both inside and outside the business.
- To protect the health, safety and welfare of yourself and others at all times.
- To undertake any other reasonable duties as may from time to time be required by the Company.
- High level knowledge of pneumatic, electrical and large mechanical machinery
- Strong understanding, familiarity and experience of Packaging/Bagging equipment, Multihead Weighers, Checkweighers (Martini/Yamato/Multipond/Ishida etc.)
- Welding skills in TIG/MIG
- Thorough and ‘Right First Time’ approach to diagnostic, maintenance and repair work
- Good bench fitting and metal fabrication skill set using mostly hand tools, drills, angle grinders etc. Ability to design and build simple ad-hoc machine parts from available materials if required
- Working with single phase & three phase systems
- Competent in electrical fault finding in panels, 3 phase motors, VFDs, relays, transformers, SMPS, Contactors, Wiring Harnesses etc.
- High level of fault-finding knowledge of PLC's.
- Ability to think laterally and find solutions to sudden production problems, quickly and safely
- The ability to work independently when needed but also effectively as part of a small and close engineering team is crucial. Good and clear communication skills are a valuable asset.
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.