Main purpose of the job
To take ownership of prescribed ingredient & indirect category spends and to create and deliver cost savings opportunities. To develop and implement category sourcing strategies and to proactively develop new and existing supplier relationships.
- Category ownership
- To ensure Symington’s Ltd sources supplies at the most competitive prices
- Lead the development and implementation of nominated sourcing category strategies across spend categories
- Develop and agree category strategies at senior level within the organisation
- Develop detailed knowledge of existing and potential global supply base by category
- Challenge the status quo with a view to optimising the supply base to support Symington’s aggressive growth and efficiency agenda
- Negotiate high value critical contracts effectively with suppliers
- Apply legal and ethical considerations to all negotiations
- Develop robust market intelligence within individual sourcing categories
- Establish reporting of commodity movements & dialogue with internal stakeholders
- Prepare tender documents as required
- Develop and maintain a prospective supplier database
- Maintain a live pricelist database
- To provide support to all indirect departments and deliver costing enquiries in a timely manner
- To provide operational and commercial support to other departments including finance, technical, operational, new product development, commercial & marketing
- Budget setting process for nominated categories - provide clear articulation of rationale for assumptions
- Accountable for giving forward price guidance & regular price forecasting for nominated categories
- To report purchasing department KPI’s on a monthly basis
Supplier Relationship Management (SRM):
- Manage commercial relationships for nominated categories
- Develop SRM programme or similar framework with key suppliers
- Drive the optimisation of product and process with suppliers
- Agree specification with supplier following consultation with key internal stakeholders
- Adopt a rigorous approach to supplier performance management and continuous improvement
- Support the supplier risk management process to identify and mitigate potential risks.
- Develop business continuity plans for nominated suppliers
- Negotiate service level agreements and KPI’s following consultation with key internal stakeholders
- To ensure that the Company is professionally represented at all times, both inside and outside the business.
- To protect the health, safety and welfare of yourself and others at all times.
- To take an active role in continuously developing your skills and knowledge through self-development activities and/or through attending Company organised training and development opportunities.
- To respond to ad hoc requests and/or take an active role in specific projects as directed by your line manager.
- To undertake any other reasonable duties as may from time to time be required by the Company.
- Completion of routine tasks to Company standards within agreed timescales
- Best practice procurement applied to all sourcing processes
- Delivery of agreed year on year cost savings in nominated categories
- Sourcing strategies developed, signed off and implemented for nominated categories
- Robust articulation of performance to budget and forward price guidance
- Accurate contribution and completion of the budgetary process
- Robust risk management process in place for nominated categories and suppliers
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.